Friday, August 21, 2009

On moving, living, and retirement.

So, I will cliff note this for my few select followers:

-WIU things went sideways
-Decided to move back home for my last bit of graduate school
-Informed work of my intent
-Found people to take over my lease
-Moved home
-Unpacked

There, your all caught up!

Living back at home, so far, hasn't been to horrible at all. I got my Y membership right away so being able to get back into working out has been great for me. I took more time away from it than I would like to admit last month with the packing and the moving and work stress and such. It is going to take some getting used to not having all the greatness of the WIU rec right next to me, but it will work out just fine. I went through my first round of weight loss here, and I can do it again.

I am trying to look into how much new free wieghts would cost, and maybe organizing a fund raiser to help out the Y order some. You would think that since the director of the Y's son is in the NFL he would be willing to help his community...or not. However, and I digress for a moment, I did see him on a billboard coming back from Peoria today for one of the rehab centers in town....torn up shirt and jeans, hair over his eyes. Yeah, great role model there kids!

Back to being at home; I am really happy, and I feel amazing. It may be the influx of having access to a decent kitchen and grill (I am averaging about 4 servings of veggies and 3-4 of fruit a day now). Dad and I are actually getting along great. Don't get me wrong, I love my Dad, he has always been there for me, but he and I can argue with the worst because we are truly so much alike. Mom's center is going well, the open house is Sunday, I will hopefully post pictures from that as well.

I need to get going on my thesis, like, right fucking STAT now. I was so motivated for that, now it seems all my motivation is on working out and my diet and weight loss to get in shape for a job or Navy OCS, and I am having a difficult time balancing the two. I am thinking about talking to a councilor about it once school starts back up.

Speaking of school, classes start Monday. I have my one night a week class on Tuesdays, which I am really looking forward to. Ethics in CJ is the class, and it is one of my favorite topics in LEJA. Also, it is taught by my thesis committee chair/a guy my Mom went to high school with/the guy whos land I camped on when I was in Boy Scouts/has known me my whole life/etc. I am also enrolled in an independent study with the department chair. Now here is where my stomach starts to turn. I enrolled in it strictly because I needed 6 hours to keep my G.A. position. Well, since that is no longer an issue I was contemplating dropping it. However, he told me when we spoke about the course that we would just use chapters one and two of my thesis as my ind. study, no sense in having me do a ton of extra work he said. Now, while I have all intent of finishing my thesis this fall and graduating, what happens if I don't, or I am still not physically ready for a job or even able to find one? I have until May 2010 to finish my thesis, but I don't know what is going to happen between now and then. Also, it will be the first time I have never been a full time student, and I need to call the university and find out what this means for me (do I have to start paying loans back in six months? Do I still have insurance? Can I use the buses on campus? etc.)

I digressed again, that has been plaguing my mind for quite some time, wanted to get it out.

I visited M in Indiana a couple weeks, ago, and absolutely fell in love with it there. We went to this amazing outdoor market, shopping, around the town...words really cannot express how much I hope their PD tests soon because it is such a great area.

Now, onto what I meant by, on retirement. Last week was Geordi's birthday, so we went to Flat-Top and a movie with his brother and then hung out the following night watching some old Scout videos his dad took. Before we went out to the movies, his brother was playing some World of Warcraft and I just kinda watched and thought about playing again. Now, mind you I checked my online account info with them last week, and it said my last login was on Sept 28th, 2008.

I haven't played in almost a year, nor did I get the big expansion pack, so I am behind everyone else in the game by 8 months at the least. Also, once I hit level 70 before I quit, I was never a serious raider because I didnt have the time to devote to it, and everyone I knew and my guild were way more advanced than I was. It was just a fun thing for me to do.

Granted I quit primarily due to finding out a woman I was romantically and emotionally involved with in real life who I met online through this actually turned out to be married, making me upset on so many levels, etc etc. Also, knowing I need to devote all time to thesis as previously noted, it would take me so much time for me to re-learn everything, do the instances, re do all of my add ons and everything, and its just not worth it.




However, I can't help but enjoy it. For those of you who don't know me, or have not somehow already figured out yet, I am a huge geek, and I am proud of it. I grew up with Star Trek and Jean-Luc Picard, Star Wars, Sci-Fi, War of the Worlds, I love Lord of the Rings, and fantasy, etc. However, I have never dressed up, gone to a CON, played tabletop D and D, or Magic or any of the other card games. I just love being able to step away for a little bit, and forget about the problems, maybe just be someone else for a little while. For me, it was being a dwarf. Hearty folk who love the snow and beer. It's me in a nutshell, Really!! Oh well, maybe I can find some nice gamer girl and our Christmas cards can be us in Alliance sweatshirts or something.

Oh and I have been working on this post for a couple hours now with many breaks for various things, so I am going to wrap it up here.



1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU for the update!

    I keep checking to no avail, but I'm glad things are going well honey. I miss you more than I thought possible. :(

    ReplyDelete